Thursday, June 27, 2013

Why I am Compelled2? (Part 1)

The Crucifixion by Georges Rouault
Some of you have wondered why I chose Compelled2 as the name for my blog about the theology of cultural engagement and reconciliation. I am glad that you asked. I think that there are several reasons. 

  • First, I am compelled to blog by my doctoral program directors. 
  • Second, at this point in my life and ministry I have things to say that I can’t keep quiet on any longer…lest I get the bone consuming acid reflux that Jeremiah (Jer. 20:9) and David speak of (Psalm 3:3). 
  • Third, and most importantly, the title is taken from 2 Corinthians 5:14 where Paul writes that, “the love of Christ controls/compels us”. He is explaining that whether he seems crazy or sane it is for a purpose, for God’s love compels him to live and act the way he does. He no longer lives for his own interests and desires. He and those who are with him are captive to the love of Christ and cannot operate outside of it. As their options were narrowed down, their focus was strengthened and their mission clarified.

Often, when studying a passage in the Bible I find it helpful to use a type of analysis that involves vertical alignment of repeated words and key concepts that allows me to better follow the threads of meaning as I scan down the page. I also may use different colors to highlight words and phrases. 

Here is an example... 2 Corinthians 5:13-21
   13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God;
            if we are in our right mind,  it is for you.
  14 For                           the love of Christ controls us,
because we have concluded this:
                             that one has died    for all,
                     therefore all have died;
                      15             and he died    for all,
                                        that those who live
                                       might no longer live for themselves
   but for him who for their sake died
                                    and was raised.    16
From now on, therefore,
               we regard no one
                        according to the flesh. Even
   though we once
                     regarded                    Christ
                        according to the flesh,
               we regard him thus no longer.
      17      Therefore, if anyone is in Christ,
                                           he is a new creation.
                                                The old has passed away;
                                    behold, the new has come.
      18                                  All this is from God,
                                  who through Christ
                                     reconciled us            to himself
and gave             us
            the ministry   of reconciliation;
      19                               that is, in Christ  God was
                                     reconciling the world to himself,
  not counting their trespasses against them,
and entrusting to us
            the message of reconciliation. 20
Therefore,
               we are ambassadors for Christ, God
                                   making his appeal
               through us.
               We implore you
                                   on behalf of Christ,
                                 be reconciled        to God. 21
For our sake he made him to be sin
                              who knew no sin,
                     so that in him
               we might become
                                 the righteousness of God. [ESV]

If you find this approach hard to read, and you think I am crazy, that’s OK. It is not for everyone, but it helps me locate major emphases in the text. One of the reasons that I like the ESV translation of the Bible is the commitment to translate a Greek word using the same English word throughout a given passage rather than trying to constantly find a fresh synonym to fit it into English style. It is like being able to hear the verbal rhythm section in the divinely inspired symphony of scripture.

Just as this approach to reading the Bible (illustrated above) often changes my perspective and allows me to see more, so too allowing the love of God to compel/ control/ constrain me changes the way in which I see other people. I don’t just evaluate them according to physical or social labels like the world does asking, “What good is this person to me?” Now I can see them not as merely marginalized or powerful, as black or brown or white, but as the very ones to whom God has sent me as an agent of reconciliation. 

The love of God also constrains my own tendency to look at others economically since that is not the way that Christ loves me. It forces me to begin to relate incarnationally…for their good in Christ, not my own (though it does benefit me as well). The most important thing is that people are reconciled to God in Christ and for that to happen we must be compelled by the love of God…wholeheartedly offering reconciliation to others that we ourselves have received from God.

3 comments:

  1. Comment for greg how interesting that God would require us to, as you say, "change my perspective." It's as if we ourselves are not God.

    Perhaps we are to reach others with the message of the One who sent us, for His purposes, and by His means?

    I tried it over the weekend with several Buddhist monastics, listening and loving. In the process I was asked to tell them about my God's love. This would not have happened before our crushing two week doctoral residency. I really do like Paul's emphasis on the upside down kingdom, and I'm glad my paradigm is being turned upside down as well!

    your friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is important to come to the Bible and not just read it but to allow it to read us. By this I mean that I have to allow it to show me where I am not seeing things clearly or obeying God wholeheartedly. I need to see what the Bible is really saying...not just look for ways it might be used to support my positions.

      In regards to your "perhaps" I would say that it goes way beyond perhaps to absolutely...His message...His purpose...His means, not mine. To which I would also add "His timing".

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this, Greg - "hear the verbal rhythm section in the divinely inspired symphony of scripture." And the (heart)beat to which the rhythm section is paced is reconciliation.

    ReplyDelete