Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Moving Day Part 1 “Packing Up”

Photo by Kadarius Seegars on Unsplash
As I get ready to move on to a new focus in my cultural engagement blogging, I thought I might pack up some things to share, and perhaps stir my readers up by way of reminder.

Over the summer, in a loose-knit series of blog posts, I explored the concept of unity and disunity in our society and how we as the church should be committed to tearing down the walls that we allow to divide us so that we can better represent as the body of Christ on earth. Some of this disunity is tied to the literal building and tearing down of walls and the movements of ethnic peoples from one land to another, and some of the disunity is because of our own pride and sense of entitlement.

Starting with Some Elbow Room? (7/15/14) I asked questions like, “Why do we always seem to push others out when we move in (whoever the “we” may be)? Why do we spend so much energy "clearing the land" to build our own kingdoms?” and encouraged Christian congregations to stop competing with each other as well as trying to be self-sufficient and start working together. I concluded that post with the challenge,
If we need to be moving someone, let it be moving ourselves closer to each other relationally, linking arms and hearts, keeping in step with the Spirit rather than the flesh (Gal. 5). Listen to one another, pray with one another, and be friends with one another. Then we may see God move in gentle power in our midst... and have to move out into the yard because the house isn't big enough for everyone.

I followed that with Dust in the Wind: The Ever-Changing Dance (7/22/14) in which I talked about the fascinating way that ethnic populations have always been moving and shifting, not as a way to excuse the gentrification of traditionally non-white urban communities, but as an encouragement for us to consider how our policies and actions affect others. Though this shift is unavoidable we should not force it on others.
“Sudden heavy-handed shifts in demographics can either bury the existing community under the weight of new arrivals (think our current crisis on the Southern Border) or scatter that community to the wind (think N & NE Portland)…  

The question facing us is how to respond. Will we embrace the shift and adapt to the new ministry opportunities that the wind has delivered to our doorstep (or to whose doorstep we are delivered)? Will we flee to new lands (California or Bust!) to begin again? Or like some die-hard Dust-Bowlers will we simply live in the basement of what remains and slowly watch our family die of dust pneumonia?

More recently I looked at how we view the “property lines” in our own lives in Psalm 16:5-8 "Pleasant Places" (8/5/14). This passage alludes to the tribal inheritances allocated in the Book of Joshua, but then applies the idea of inheritance not to a place but to a person—the Lord himself. But out of this story, we see our collective responsibility to help every “tribe” to gain its inheritance.
“Who has yet to receive a piece of the pie? Who has not been given a place at the table? For such as these those of us who have access to economic and educational resources should look for ways to leverage them not for our own benefit, but for the benefit of those who don’t have the same options available to them.”

So how do we do this? Trust God and do what he is doing. Our natural response is to take the easy way rather than the hard one. The mission of God is greater than the appearance of “the neighborhood”. Everything God does has a purpose and though it might not be what we want, it is for the good. So do we lament what we see and complain our days away or do lean in and listen more closely to the voice of the Spirit? Do we run from the sound of suffering or do we run towards the battle for the good of the oppressed?
Yesterday I wrote to my son that some of the imagery in Isaiah 62 seemed a little like the rebuilding that must happen after a terrorist attack.  
Go through, go through the gates,
Clear the way for the people;
Build up, build up the highway,
Remove the stones, lift up a standard over the peoples.
Behold, the Lord has proclaimed to the end of the earth,
Say to the daughter of Zion, “Lo, your salvation comes;
Behold His reward is with Him, and His recompense before Him.”
(Isaiah 62:10-11)
There was an attack, a disaster, a tragedy. I wonder if we are willing to move, coming alongside to help our new neighbors overwhelmed with the debris of a violently fallen world. Or would we rather use the remote control to change over to the Cartoon Network?

In the incarnation, Jesus chose the hard way of becoming human to rescue us in accordance with the redemptive plan of God. The least we can do is follow his lead going out from comfort, convenience, and status quo, to take up the missional calling he has given to us.

So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood. Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured. For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. (Hebrews 13:12-16)

Just because we “have no lasting city” here doesn’t mean we can’t leave a lasting mark!

4 comments:

  1. Great reminders, Greg. I especially love the idea of moving relationally rather than simply to establish space. That flies in the face of the current popular "save-the-city" missiology that sends prideful monument builders into unknown locales. Why not join an existing local church? Are they unwilling to be led by someone who does not look like them? This reminds me of what CS Lewis said about his local church,
    "When I first became a Christian, about fourteen years ago, I thought
    that I could do it on my own, by retiring to my rooms and reading
    theology, and I wouldn’t go to the churches and Gospel Halls; . . .
    I disliked very much their hymns, which I considered to be fifth-rate
    poems set to sixth-rate music. But as I went on I saw the great merit
    of it. I came up against different people of quite different outlooks
    and different education, and then gradually my conceit just began
    peeling off. I realized that the hymns (which were just sixth-rate
    music) were, nevertheless, being sung with devotion and benefit
    by an old saint in elastic-side boots in the opposite pew, and then
    you realize that you aren’t fit to clean those boots. It gets you out
    of your solitary conceit."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts an love the quote. My I aspire to clean boots

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the retrospective post as a way to pivot to new territory. It is always an interesting exercise to consider what legacy we wish to leave, and who we want to know about it! Indeed, if we minister with an attitude of "doing good to those who, in turn, can do good to us" we leave an entirely different mark on the world than if we follow our Savior's example. I will admit that my hubris often leads me to thinking of the recognition I'd like to receive from men, rather than the reward I hope to garner from our Heavenly Father. It's always good to check our motivations, and you set a good example by putting this reminder in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In combining Ashley Bell’s most recent post (it can be found here: http://abell8330.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/in-the-beginning-there-was-unity/comment-page-1/#comment-48) with your question and answer, “So how do we do this? Trust God and do what he is doing.” I am reminded of how often my self-protective desire for isolation (ironically a result of abandonment issues) has to be corrected by willfully engaging in the lives of the community, and especially the eighty or so families that collectively support me as their pastor. Those who attend frequently get the blessing of having repeatedly heard me explain, “I don’t trust you. I don’t apologize for that, though. Because you shouldn’t trust me. We are human beings. In our fallen nature it is our habit to harm one another. As Christian, however, we choose to gather together in authentic, transparent, and vulnerable fellowship. Is this because we can somehow trust our fellow-Christians? No. At least I can’t. I can only choose to put myself at risk on the basis of my trust in Christ. His protection and provision are sufficient to encourage my obedience. That’s why I’m here. Because He said this is who I’m supposed to be, and what I’m supposed to do, together with all of you. But don’t think for a moment that I like it.” So far, they seem to catch a little of the tongue-in-cheek manner of the last sentence. But I think they also know how terrifyingly sincere I am about the rest of it. Thanks for the recap, Greg! Now, we’re on to Cincin…I mean, Diplomacy. (With no apologies to, nor much of an example from Bill Belichick. )

    ReplyDelete